PROJECT SUMMARY-The Good Economy
- The Good Economy
- Finance & Investment: fund managers, asset owners, consultants
- Impact investors
- Local and central government
- Housing and regeneration
- SME Finance
- PR services
Social advisory firm The Good Economy joined forces with Pensions for Purpose and the Impact Investing Institute on a project to show how place-based impact investing (PBII) can mobilise institutional capital to address social inequality and drive a genuine ‘levelling up’.
The partners wanted to introduce the concept of place-based impact investing among the investor community, with a particular focus on local government pension fund asset owners, managers and consultants. The Good Economy led on a white paper which set out a series of proposals to encourage the uptake of place-based impact investment. Our challenge was to stimulate interest in a PBII movement, by launching the white paper at an event, alongside proposals to launch a forum.
Our specialist Social Invest communications team provided strategic and delivery support before, during and immediately after the launch to maximise the influence and profile The Good Economy and its partners secured from the white paper. We:
- Worked alongside the client team to finalise the report copy and key messaging
- Identified specialist titles in pensions, real assets, responsible investment and ESG, local government, housing and renewables sectors for the media launch which were aligned to The Good Economy’s objectives for the white paper
- Drafted and distributed the media release
- Wrote thought leadership pieces and placed them in targeted and relevant titles.
Our role ensured The Good Economy and its partners had a successful launch for the white paper, which was well received by target audiences.
- We secured 16 items of coverage, reaching online audiences of over 700,000 including in Responsible Investor, IPE Real Assets, Pensions & Investment, Municipal Journal, Social Housing and ESG Clarity
- Thought leadership pieces were published in a series of targeted online titles – Room 151, Mallow Street, ESG Clarity and Responsible Investor- aimed at senior local government executives and pensions investors respectively
- The launch webinar was well attended, with over 200 delegates.
- Coverage included an in-depth feature article in IPE Real Assets
What was achieved
The white paper received a hugely positive response, and reached its target markets through a combination of media coverage, social media and an online event. In particular, there was strong coverage from pension, local authority and finance journals.
The white paper was the foundation of a longer term initiative which continues to grow, with its launch garnering significant interest from key audiences and engagement across the media and social media.
The partners have since set up the Place-Based Impact Investing Forum in partnership with Pensions for Purpose and the Impact Investing Investing Institute. It has hosted several webinars with participants including institutional investors such as L&G, Triple Point and Man Group.
The white paper won an award in November 2021, from Pensions for Purpose for the Best Client-Led Innovation. Judges described the paper as “… an excellent in-depth paper on the opportunities and current barriers to place-based impact investing… The paper will make useful reading for those in the wider pensions industry.”
“Social were a real asset to our Place-Based Impact Investing white paper. They worked seamlessly with our team as we planned the launch of this flagship report. Their understanding of social investing, their extensive media networks and ability to deliver our messaging and thought leadership were really valuable in helping us to achieve the coverage we wanted. It proved a good springboard for discussion around this important field of institutional investment.”Sarah Foster CEO The Good Economy